Field Operations Manager
PURPOSE: Midtown is looking for a new team member who is a highly motivated, creative and ethical person interested in keeping the communities within the Midtown Community Benefits District clean and green by successfully leading the efforts of 14 operations staff members. The incumbent must be self-motivated and be able to develop and implement staffing strategies that correspond with both daily and long term District-needs.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Provide hands-on supervision of daily tasks of all operations staff. Work with management and the green team lead on a daily basis to establish and communicate District priorities.
- Oversee the green team lead to ensure full performance of any and service contracts that the District may enter into; and to provide for the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the ongoing park maintenance efforts.
- Provide overall supervision of the operations staff in accordance with District policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: working with management staff to interview, hire, evaluate, reward and discipline employees; arranging for the direct training of employees; planning, assigning, and directing work of the trash truck driver and the clean and green crews.
- Assign daily routes and special clean-up tasks as needed to ensure maximum productivity of staff.
- Oversee the maintenance of trash removal records and service request completion reports.
- Approve bi-weekly time sheets for operations staff.
- Travel daily throughout the District to monitor cleanliness and evaluate status of each route and green space.
- Ensure timely removal of bulk trash as requested by District residents and property owners.
- Work with the Executive Assistant to establish and maintain a communication protocol that facilitates the swift reporting of any illegal dumping, graffiti, etc. seen in the District.
- Ensure the daily pick-up of all filled trash-bags and removal to City provided dumpsters, including all public litter-baskets.
- Suggest and implement changes in work practices for better efficiency and quality including but not limited to changes in routes and staff duties. Use information to make positive changes, become more efficient, improve quality of service, maintain safety, and motivate workers to achieve consistently high standards.
- Coordinate with the management staff and crew leads to ensure that a superior level of service is provided in any and all District-wide special events or activities including but not limited to: PRIDE festivities, Artscape, leaf collection, etc.
- Respond to questions, resolve problems, and provide technical and other assistance to staff completing assigned work.
- Community Relations and Outreach Responsibilities:
- Attend community meetings as requested and serve as a point of contact for volunteers and community leaders as requested by management staff.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions. Ensure staff has training to do the same.
- Be an ambassador for Midtown by promoting the organization’s mission and goals.
- When time and the budget permits, work with Midtown staff and community volunteers to initiate and implement programs to maintain and improve District appearance.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Equipment Management Responsibilities:
- Create and sustain a maintenance schedule for all District-owned vehicles and equipment.
- Communicate with the executive assistant to ensure that the crews always have the materials they need to complete their assigned tasks including but not limited to the following: trash bags, weed killer, tools, fuel, uniforms, water, etc.
- As requested, assist with the creation of project/contract estimates.
- Maintain, research and submit information regarding operational and maintenance budget as requested.
- Ensure compliance with established safety standards. Assist with the identification of and completion of safety training.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- At least two years of demonstrated supervisory skills and ability to maximize productivity of staff.
- Current Maryland driver’s license and good driving record.
- Ability to follow directions, read instructions, and complete reports.
- Basic computer literacy, ability to enter data and complete on-line forms.
- Must have the ability to read, interpret and comply with written information and documents such as safety rules, operations/procedure manuals and maintenance instructions with a high comprehension and concentration level to include the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift forty pounds.
- Must successfully pass drug screening and a background investigation.
- Physical requirements: Works in all weather conditions in an outdoor environment; drives, walks, and lifts; occasionally sweeps, and shovels litter or snow. Must be able to hear instructions, sounds of machinery and issue directions to others.
- Must be resident of Baltimore City or relocate to Baltimore City within 90-day probationary period.
- Other Requirements:
- Ability to motivate, train, and manage a crew
- Ability to perform physically demanding outdoor work, in all weather
- Ability to adapt to a quickly changing work environment
- Ability to execute tasks efficiently and solve problems creatively, with limited resources
- Enthusiasm for and experience with public service
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Valid and clean driver’s license
- Ability to work weekend and evening shifts as necessary
This is not an all-inclusive list of job requirements and/or duties and may not contain all capabilities necessary to perform the job at all times due to circumstances; operational, safety and other needs may require the employee to perform any and all other duties as assigned. Employees are expected and must be able to perform all such duties and tasks.
The salary range is between $40,000 – $50,000 a year. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, disability and life insurance, vacation, sick, and personal time, and a simple IRA plan with a 3% employer match.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.