The Midtown Community Benefits District (MCBD) is currently seeking a full-time Litter-Vac operator to join its Clean Team. The Clean Team Litter-Vac Operator position will perform heavy manual work and operate equipment and vehicles in the collection, disposal of refuse and clean the streets and right-of-ways in the District.
- Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure the following areas are clean and litter free using either a broom or mechanical sweeper: sidewalks, streets, street gutters, car parking areas, parks, and all public spaces within assigned route
- Weed pavements and tree wells according to established weeding protocols
- Empty trash receptacles or any approved refuse containers
- Remove dog waste and vomit
- Tend to emergencies when called to do so (i.e.) snow clearing, illegal dumping spots, etc.
- Clear snow and grit from pavements and spread salt as requested.
- Remove litter from tree pits
- Carry out daily mechanical checks on machines before use and clean the machine at the end of each shift. Report any mechanical faults to management immediately.
- Report graffiti to supervisor
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
Litter-Vac Operator requirements:
- Typical operation requirements of equipment
- Safe working practices at all times to ensure the safety of the general public
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved with operating equipment
- Ability to:
- Use a high degree of diplomacy and patience while working in the field.
- Use a high degree of judgement and common sense while operating the machine, dealing with the public and handling problems in the field.
- Maintain a pleasant relationship with co-workers and constituents.
- Understand and follow specific oral and written instructions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Memorize and complete daily sweeping routes.
- Work independently on assigned routes/projects.
Position requires at least one year previous experience operating mechanical equipment in a safe manner. Any combination of experience, certification and training will be accepted in determining qualifications.
In addition to the requirements:
- The selected candidate must possess a Maryland driver’s license and have a clean driving record.
- Must successfully pass drug screening and a background check.
- Must be physically fit to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The position requires employee to constantly use upper body to operate all components of the machine.
- Must be a resident of Baltimore City or relocate to Baltimore City within the 90-day probationary period.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
The employee is required to use a ride on machine, or when undertaking manual rounds, walk long distances behind their machine, up hills as well as on grassy areas. The removal of the bag from the sweeper can be difficult when it is full and requires a fair amount of physical effort. The candidate must be prepared for frequent standing, walking, bending, squatting, handling, reaching, sitting, moderate lifting of at least 50 pounds, carrying, climbing, kneeling and crawling.
A high-level of concentration is required when using the litter-vac machine as it is equipped with a wonder hose for cleaning gutters between parked cars. This involves controlling the machine with one hand requiring good concentration and skill while at the same time looking out for pedestrians and other obstacles.
The job can be extremely dirty in dry weather and the fine dust cloud emanating from the machine at times can be extremely unpleasant especially when car exhaust fumes, vomit and/or dog excrement is sucked into the bag on the machine. The use of a dusk mask is frequently required.
The selected candidate has to work in inclement weather conditions in order to get main areas cleaned and there is no shelter when in exposed areas, therefore weather appropriate is provided and is required to be worn.
To Apply: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.